Andrew Robertson wrote:

So the only thing I can find that OpenOffice is lacking is an app like
Outlook. I have not heard back form anyone at OpenOffice or Sun Microsystems
as to whether or not they are working on  something like this or if it is
not in the plans at all.

Ok, so I know I'll get a few slaps for this, but I actually REALLY like MS
Outlook, more than any other contact/calendar/email management system I've
ever used. I am currently using OpenOffice to replace all other MS Office
applications, but I miss the integration Outlook has with MS Office products
that it stoutly refuses to do with Open Office.

So to me, this is the only MAJOR drawback to OpenOffice, is it's lack of an
Outlook style app. Has anyone heard if this is in the works or not, or is
anyone working on this?

Sincerely,
Andrew Robertson
derma e(r) Natural Bodycare
Export Manager
Ph. 805-582-2710 xt. 244
Fx. 805-582-2730
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.dermae.net

AFAIK no one is working on this, but it seems to be by far the most requested addition or
enhancement to OOo.  There is *absolutely nothing* in open source software that can
*fully* replace Outlook.  Sort of, almost, nearly, but certainly not FULLY.  Everything
is either "Not ready for prime time", unstable, not sufficiently integrated
with other applications, or lacking in one or more vital features.  Someone really needs
to throw some money at this one, even if it means offering a proprietary add-on program
to go with OOo.  It seems that if you really need something like this you would be
willing to pay something for it.  It could even perhaps cost almost as much as Outlook
does, except that it would fully integrate with OOo rather than MS Office.         Now as
for me, I don't use Outlook, and one of the first things I do for most of my customers is
to put Thunderbird on their systems and get rid of Outlook Express for them.  Suprising
that MS uses the name Outlook for both programs, one is extremely useful, and the other a
total piece of crap!