Hi again,

Cor Nouws wrote:

Hi all,

I'm interested in a *short* list with the main functional pro's
and con's of OOo compared to MsO.
[...]

Any help appreciated very much.
Thanks,
Cor

It's been a while agoo, but finaly I found some time to get the information (started 17-1-05) together.

First of all, special thanks to Chad, Daniel, Jeff, Jonathon, Bruce, Chuck, Mathias, Robin, Lars, Andrew, Nicolas, ... who contributed in this thread (most of it, on-topic ;-)

Below my 'short' list. It is a positive, promotional text. However, it should be reasonable and fair as well. Telling lies is not mý style.

May I ask for short comments if seriously needed?
Furthermore, any help with spelling/gramar is appreciated. My Dutch is better. Maybe someone wants to have it as an ODT to review?

Once finished, I'll find some form to make it available to the project - of course. By the way: I've written a brochure (aprox. 2500 words) for management, which writes more in detail about why OOo. That however completely in Dutch, so I've to find myself someone to help with translation.

Thanks all,
Cor

Open Source
===========
The availability of the source code enables customization, ports to different platforms, deeper integration options and localization for any language. Further more, there is no need for license-management, the program can be put on any number of machines.

OASIS OpenDocument XML file format standard
Access and process your documents outside of OpenOffice.org, and avoid proprietary file format lock-in. ODF is a stable, future-proof document format. Because of their need for such, Boeing contributed to the development of ODF.
ODF makes smaller documents, thus less heat in your data-center.

Multi-platform
==============
Users can have office productivity on their preferred platform(s), and across heterogenous environments. It can be used along side of existing software

Multi-lingual
=============
Create documents in your native language.
You may use more language-versions (over 80 available) of the suite. Of course without extra costs.

Interoperability with other office suites
Leverage your existing investment - read, write and edit documents from other office suites, including Microsoft Office.

PDF Export
==========
One click PDF export enables convenient document-sharing outside the enterprise. This PDF generation works for spreadsheets, presentations, drawings, ánd text documents.

Drawings and Diagrams
=====================
Create organization charts, network diagrams and illustrations without requiring additional software.

One program
===========
Superior integration of different elements (drawings, tables) in one document.
Easier navigation between documents and easier task switching.
Familiar interface to any word processor user, so a short learning curve for those coming from Ms Office

Easier interface
================
More direct interface, not a labyrinth of menu's and windows.
There is more context dependent Help available, as well as extended Help-tips. The context-menu's are more complete. Tool bars are context-sensitive.
The user has a similar way to do tasks in all modules.

Better word-processor
=====================
Documents in a stable environment with easier and better control over the documents lay-out.
Features that work: styles, master documents and templates.
Graphics support is better and controllable
The proper tools to help with basic tasks. Such as the Stylist and the Navigator. The latter helps to find all kind of content in documents, copy, link etc. (The Navigator is also available in other OpenOffice.org modules). Easier control over text-blocks. Stable work with large documents as well. So you're much less likely to lose a document. Writer can even be used to recover Microsoft Office documents, that won't open in MsO any more.

Data-integration
================
It is very easy to use all kind of data-sources in the documents. Either link to existing databases, CSV-files, or worksheets, or create new ones.

Safer
=====
Resistant to macro-based viruses.
Password-encryption that is not easy to crack.
Digital signatures in all modules.
No risk with meta-data in document headers.

Complete software
=================
Flash Export of presentations
Vector drawing application included
Included mathematical editor is better and easier to use.
Advanced/up-to-date technologies such as XForms and web services architecture.

Lacking, or to take from elsewhere
Microsoft Office does include some functions that OpenOffice.org doesn't. And a little less the other way round. In general one can say, that where OpenOffice.org lacks some cosmetic features, it is better suited for performing basic-tasks easy and reliable. The presentation-module Impress, lacks some features that are present in Powerpoint. Features that in rare occasions are needed. The same applies for Calc: a very small part of Excel-users may have applications/sheets that do not (easy) work in Calc. Therefore mixed environments do occur.
On the other hand: we see OpenOffice.org evolve continuesly.
For PIM (Outlook) and document management (DRM), other (open source-software) solutions are available.

( NB - MsOffice is catching up :-)
Various features that are offered by OOo and not by MsO are included in next version of MsO: PDF-export, Extended Help-tips, (smaller) XML-documents )

--
Cor Nouws
www.nouenoff.nl - www.bsooo.nl - http://nl.openoffice.org