<<<there is no need as http://mozilla.org has Thunderbird for email and Sunbird
for Calendaring. Sunbird may not be complete yet but is getting closer all of
the time.>>>

Sorry, I have to COMPLETELY disagree with you. Thunderbird with the Calendar or
Lightning add-in and Sunbird are excellent applications, for the casual home
user. They do not even hold a candle to the features and office productivity of
Outlook. I hate M$, but Outlook is actually a GREAT program. Although it can be
difficult to use for a beginner or someone who does not need all it's features,
in an office environment, it is an incredible asset. There are several
drawbacks such as it's sharing abilities and proprietary nature, which is why
so many of us are looking for an alternative built into OOo.
To say "There is no need as http://Mozilla.org has Thunderbird/Sunbird" is like
saying "There is no need for today's modern houses since there are caves we can
live in instead." You are comparing a fairly simple email and calendaring app
to a sophisticated PIM. I just recently installed Linux and Evolution at home,
and Evolution is close, but not fully there, especially considering there is no
Windows version yet. There is a group supposedly working on it, but they
haven't made any progress on the port for over a year.
However, there is hope on the horizon; http://chandler.osafoundation.org/ is a
promising PIM that looks like it will be equal to or better than Outlook. They
are focusing on the Calendar aspect right now, with Task Management and Email
to follow. If OOo can get together with them NOW, and begin a tight
integration, then Chandler and OpenOffice together will make a complete package
that rivals M$ Office in EVERY way.
OOo either needs to make it's own PIM that is as good or better than M$, or
work with someone who already is working on it, like the folks at OSAF and
Chandler. If Chandler will as fully integrated with OOo as Outlook is with M$
Office, they will be able to stand against M$ Office in the workplace. Until
then, it's no dice, and OOo is primarily a "Home User" office suite. Without a
PIM, it is too cumbersome to replace M$ Office in the workplace environment IF
that environment is already using and reliant on Outlook and M$ Office. And the
sad news is, many are. The good news is many of them will switch if OOo has a
PIM equivalent to Outlook.
Sincerely,
Andrew Robertson
derma e(r) Natural Bodycare