On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 19:50:30 -0400, Larry Gusaas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Questions:

1.  What are the FLOSS equivalents of Outlook?

Evolution port, kde-pim, Zimbra, and many that I mention before including web-based pim that you can either run from a remote server or from within your own desktop, workplace also adds some integration.

2.  Where do you get them for  Macintosh and for Windows?

All the one i mention are multi-platform.

3.  How do they integrate with OOo ?

I am not sure how outlook integrate with the rest of MSO, I used to used it several years ago and I only saw integration on an odd level, well they have some meetings tools integrated to another tool called webmeeting. Also some email that will use the word document as a html editor. Away from that, I dont see much other integration, OOo integrates on tools with Thunderbird, Kemail and other mail clients on 'send as an attachments'.

4.  Do they provide the same functionallity and integration as Outlook?

I dont if Outlook is even functional, I think people got used to Outlook but is not a functional product, for example a callendar should be more open and easier to share so either people like your secretary can contribute to it, or you just need people adding things to the event or conference on a similar way a forum works.

I have seen this work on calendaring functions such as Yahoo Groups, and new open source projects such as Hula. I thin Chandler add something similar. Again I am not sure what you consider a functional calendar.

Many people
are saying there is nothing equivalent. Please explain.

To start on Linux we already have mature PIM apps such as Kontact and Evolution which are superior since you have a broader option of backends (Outlook you are tight to Exchange). While Evolution, you will have about 5 options for groupware systesms that integrate with it. Kolab being one of them, and all that stack is also free and open source.

I will like this discussion to actually be more brandless and explain what type of 'integration' is the one you caled and what makes you think that starting the app from ground 0 will make it better than starting the integration process on projects that already have the mail client/calendar etc.

On 17 Apr 2006 at 23:27, Jonathon Blake wrote:

Alexandro wrote:

> What? I didnt get that at all. Can you clear your point.

I'll rewrite that.

a) There is a FLOSS equivalent to Outlook --- with all of the
functions of outlook --- that is no longer being developed, because
people were not using it;

b) That OOo + several other currently existing tools can be deployed
_today_ that will give you more power and functionality than MSoffice
with Outlook currently has;

c) People that claim they will switch if a FLOSS equivalent exists are
saying that to be polite.  They are not sincere, because the
equivalent currently exists;  [ Other than the virri, and security
problems.  Both of those can be arranged, for those who really want
them.]

> So is a priority to distinguish the need vs the attachment to a tool.

I am saying that people/companies are attached to the tool.  The
presence or absence of the specific tool is what moves them.  IOW,
they want an exact clone, with all of the malfunctions of the
original.

>or is it the integration they get with Exchange

A FLOSS equivalent to Exchange currently exists;

> And this db is very fast (sqlite I think).

SQLite could be Incorporated into OOo.  A new UI would be needed.

xan

jonathon
--
Ethical conduct is a vice.
Corrupt conduct is a virtue.

Motto of Nacarima.

--
Larry I. Gusaas,
Moose Jaw, Sask.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0616-0, 04/17/2006
Tested on: 4/17/2006 5:50:37 PM

Alexandro Colorado
CoLeader of OpenOffice.org ES
http://es.openoffice.org