Google Calendar rocks.

It's free, browser-based (ie crossplatform) and ful featured!

On 4/28/06, Andrew Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Ok folks, while Thunderbird is lacking some features I like, I am ready to
look at it again. Here is why:

I need calendar/scheduling/to-do's, etc. The calendar extension and /or
Sunbird were fairly horrid examples. Probably why Mozilla has a team
working
on the Lightning project. Lightning takes the Calendar project and
re-worked
it from the ground up for tighter integration into Thunderbird. But there
has been no release builds, unless you wanted to build it your self and
risk
instability...

As of March 14th (I'm a bit behind, I just found out yesterday) Lightning
0.1 was made into a stable build! I've installed a test but I haven't
worked
with it yet. I did nose around a bit, and it looks great and seems to
function well.

This is obviously a pre-release...it does not yet integrate scheduling
with
email (i.e. you cannot receive an email with a task or appointment and
"accept" it and have it automatically add to your calendar) but that is
one
of the upcoming milestones. Here is a list of features that are scheduled
be worked on, but are not working in this release, or are only partially
working:

Better Thunderbird integration
email<->task linkage
Integration with the Thunderbird address book
iMIP support (meeting invitations)
Improved CalDAV support
Cached calendar support for offline calendar use
Device synchronization

Now, I have not switched my stance that OOo should have a PIM or tightly
integrate with a third party PIN naturally with little to no setup. But
Lightning makes Thunderbird look more promising and useable by corporate
users, especially once the features above are included. The Chandler
project
still looks more promising, but it is much further away from a useable
product.

Here is the direct link to the Lightning project:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/index.html

Sincerely,
Andrew Robertson
derma e(r) Natural Bodycare