Hi,

it depends where your cursor is.
Enter =SUM(A1:A10) into a cell.
Click outside the cell, then click the cell. Press Shift+F4 repeatedly to change through $A1:$A10 and so on. Now in the formula bar, click the A1 part of the formula. Now Shift+F4 cycles only the A1 through $A1, A$1 and so on. If you position the cursor within the formula at let's say the SUM part, nothing happens with Shift+F4.

HTH
Uwe