Hi,

I agree with Chad, this is a rapid growing branch of web-services that make
a web-version of OOo unnecessary. You can add iRows.com on the list. iRows
is a web-spreadsheet service that also supports ODF-documents
http://www.irows.com

Most of them seem to support ODF as well as the Microsoft-formats, all of
them seem to be (still) free. Another important feature for most of the new
category of "web-office" services is  free storage on web, and the
collaboration possibility. Those are very useful features in e.g.
phone-meetings and collaboration on a document/spreadsheet/presentation
where the participants are spread geographically.

I think the best OOo-strategy to those products is to demand 100%
ODF-comatibility from all of them and to promote membership in the ODF
Fellowship. With full ODF compatibility those products may fulfil the web-
and collaboration-tool demands for OOo-users (and there is no need to pay
for Microsoft Sharepoint Server).

Those new web-products may also contribute to reduce the lock-in effects of
the Microsoft-formats.

The Best

Martin Hauge, Norway

On 14/07/06, Chad Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/12/06, Florian Staudacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Wouldn't if be good to make Openoffice available without installing it?
> So I thought it would be great to port the applications so that they are
> available in a web-browser.

Hello,

Thanks for your suggestion.  This idea has been discussed before, but it
is
unlikely that it will happen any time soon.  The reason is,
OpenOffice.orgis too big to run as a web app.  And trying to strip it
down to run online -
and then recoding it to run in a browser - that would be a heck of a lot
more difficult than simply writing a new web app that has similar
functionality.

In fact, there are plenty of online alternatives to OOo already.

http://www.ajaxlaunch.com/ - has a word processor, drawing program,
spreadsheet viewer, and several other applications - AjaxWrite can save to
.doc - either online or to your hard drive.

http://www.writely.com/ - is an online word processor, and it can save to
the .odt OpenDocument format, the .doc Word format, and even PDF.  And
these
can be saved either online or to your hard drive.

http://spreedsheet.google.com/ - is an online spreadsheet program which
can
save a cvs or xls online or to your hard drive.

http://www.zoho.com/ - has a ton of apps, including a word processor,
spreadsheet, presentation software - (those are all free, some of their
other apps are not free).

And then there are some places, like http://www.workspot.com/  or
http://www.goowy.com/ - that have an entire OS in your browser.  WorkSpot
is
a full version of Linux, and OpenOffice.org is included, although it may
be
an older version.  WorkSpot has a free trial - but it only lasts 10
minutes.  Goowy, on the other hand, is writen entirely for online use, and
it's completely free, but I don't think it has an office suite - although
I'm sure it's being developed.

These are just a few of the online alternatives to OpenOffice.org.  None
of
them (other than maybe WorkSpot - since it runs OOo) have all the
functions
of OOo, but if you are wanting to run something online, then you probably
don't need all the functions of a complete office suite.

Another alternative, if you just need a word processor, is AbiWord -
http://www.abiword.com/ - It is cross-platform, open-source, free, and
multi-lingual.  It also supports the OpenDocument standard.  And it is a
much smaller download.

Hope that helps.

--
- Chad Smith