It's problematic, whichever approach you use.

I was using gmane but have found the use of an email client more convenient, using filters, a separate folder for each list and the option to list emails by thread.

If you use gmane and change your email address, you have to resubscribe to the list AND to gmane.

I've decided that the simplest approach is to use a disposable address and, if I find it becomes the target of spam, simply resubscribe using a different temporary address and delete the old one.

NoOp wrote:
<snip>  I only use the nntp gmane.comp.openoffice.x
server for posting & reading... I couldn't imagine trying to follow
anything were I only subscribed to a list and had to try to follow
and/or view threads via email only.