Hi Terry, Paul, *

- caution: long posting! -

as you probably know, the project is huge. Many volunteers devote some time to it - more or less, as much they are willing / able to contribute. To keep this large project workable there are different mailing lists for several purposes, and not everybody is aware of which list to address in order to find the right person to reply.

I'm subscribed to nearly 40 mailing lists - and I'm sorry to neglect [EMAIL PROTECTED] as I don't have the time to read and reply to this mass of mails.

I read two main concerns out of your mails:

1) Proposals have not been supported in a way you hoped for.

2) The web pages are not intuitive to navigate if you want to contribute and help more than you do by now.

For the first point there are several possible replies. In my eyes some important ones are: - Volunteer programmers only code the feature they personally think to be the most important one.
- Paid programmers work on the features their employer/sponsor pays for.
- Volunteer/sponsored programmers without a specific goal try to fix as many bugs and to introduce as many new features as possible in the given amount of time they are able to contribute.

For this third category (and in my eyes most of the Sun contributors are in that category) user's wishes are one part of the decision making process, as well as the probable coding effort to implement the feature / fix the bug and other reasons. Revealing this decision making to the broader community would help to avoid misunderstandings and negative feelings.

And at this point there are possibilities to discuss these decisions directly with the developers - mainly in the appropriate issue.

This way lead to a few, but remarkable changes in OOo's behavior in the past and I'm quite sure that the distance between developers and the non-coding projects inside OpenOffice.org will continue to be reduced in future.

It's true that sometimes there are negative reactions in some mails not at all able to invite people to join our community and spend their time. But we all are human beings with better or worse days, and who knows, which are the trigger words for anybody else to become angry?

My personal experience: If we (as users or non-coding community members) try to understand what developers and long-time / important contributors want to achieve and ask for explanations why they want to do it, there is quite a good chance to find a common solution. Of course there are exceptions with long-time differences, different political strategies and personal issues among central project members, but these are only a few (and don't have a chance to be solved but by direct contact, IMHO - repeating well-known POVs over and over again might be counterproductive).

So my conclusion: Try to get into contact to a developer able to do what you want to be done and convince him! This needs time - but just to propose something and wait for it's implementation is not the way OpenOffice.org does work.

This leads to point 2):

It is not intuitive how to contribute to the project.

There are several web pages describing how to do that (starting with the "Contributing" link on the home page). If they are not clear enough, please tell the responsible people and attach your proposal for optimization. But remember: Most of them are volunteers as well and probably spent a lot of time in that work. So a comment "it sucks" doesn't help anything (other people managed to contribute), but avoids further exploration by the responsible people.

We need our web pages to be improved - so don't hesitate to help us.

Further comments inline...

Terry schrieb:
Daniel Kasak wrote:
Terry wrote:
I've had a taste of one of the distribution problems. Several people have had problems getting isos. The bittorrent link for the "extras" iso does not work, and with good reason: there appears to be no iso.

I'm not part of that project, but probably there are more problems with personal resources than technical effects. The germanophone cdrom-project (subproject of de.openoffice.org) tries to stay up-to-date with it's (mainly German) CD and DVD iso called PrOOo-Box (online version at http://live.prooo-box.org), but we are 1 to 2 weeks behind the official releases even we have a couple of very active contributors.

[...]
That's what you get from a largely volunteer-based effort. It's no good complaining from the sidelines. Offer to help.

As I said, I've been looking for a way to help. That's made more difficult than it needs to be.

Please show where these problems should be fixed.

What you are really saying is that you can't take criticism, which is the attitude of most of your colleagues.

Depends on the kind of criticism: If you criticize in order to improve things (and people understand this aim!), it is highly appreciated. If you propose a way to do so or want to spend some time on it, even better!

Sometimes mails are misinterpreted - people feel offended even if the poster didn't mean it.

I hope the project succeeds but, if it does, it'll be more by luck than good planning.

That's not really positive, but shows lots of frustration.
By the way: Good planning is not easy in a volunteers world where everybody is able to say: No, that's not my way, I stop contributing...

I'll continue lending assistance to other users when I can.

Thanks for that.

Instinctively, I recoil from any closer contact. I've acquired "observer" status for issues, which is a glorified way of changing nothing.

You mean observer status in the qa project? (I wasn't able to find an issue project)

You must have asked for this status - why did you?
The qa project's website tells about asking for canconfirm privileges if you want to work on issues - observer status shows that you are part of that project and get the project's announcements on your personal starting page after logging in.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do next and I've been required to join a mailing list for some reason which was not explained and isn't apparent.

Which list? Why isn't it apparent? Please tell me (offlist, if you want).

Time is precious. One day, when I have nothing else to do, I'll go back to the website and see if I can make sense of my "new" status.

Or ask someone to help you finding your way through it.

Best regards

Bernhard