On 08/02/2007, at 11:49 PM, Peter Vandenabeele wrote:

What would be the right place to discuss the standardization
of Business Intelligence data in ODF ?

Any discussion would go well on this discussion list :)

What I mean is e.g. the use case where a document that
is representing a PO (Purchase Order), uses some extensions
of ODF to include e.g. the typical data that is included in a PO:

* buyer information (ID and/or detailed info)
* supplier information (ID and/or detailed info)
* order lines (quantity, product ID, price)
* general conditions (delivery terms, payments terms, ...)

Sounds like you want to use Base, the database module within OpenOffice.org here.

The advantage is that when receiving such a document, the
supplier company can "automatically" process such a document
(with a check towards the "paper" version) instead of a clerk
typing the data in an order entry system.

I assume this could be a significant market for ODF to also
supply a uniform standard for such applications, and I assume
this is by no means a new idea. What need to be standardized
is the tags for such extensions.

This form of business is already being done by some people. Even in Base you can create things such as PO forms, invoices, financial statements etc using builtin templates (not the Writer-style templates). If you mean standardizing upon the content, that is very difficult as different countries have different requirements for information to be included in these forms.

Also, I would not refer to this as business intelligence(BI). Business intelligence is more along the lines of data mining, drill- down statistics and advanced reporting methods. These are being worked on by third parties such as the PALO project using MOLAP/ROLAP models.

Regards
Jonathon