Hi,

Ian Lynch wrote:

I believe MS has patented the ribbon so OOo needs to implement similar
(better?) functionality in a different way. That is the real challenge,
do something better and sufficiently different not to get sued for
patent infringement - Ok, probably a law suit to defend such a patent
would fail since Apple's failed against Windows but the cost and risk
still has to be considered.

IMO the ribbon-hype is just another move from MS to encourage people to buy their software again. The users that are said to be served by the ribbon, can find more than they expect and need, in a less disturbing manner in the context-menu.
And OpenOffice.org  is already very goed at that point.
Furthermore, the way toolbars for e.g. tables and pictures behave in OOo, is another form of dynamically offering possible actions to users. In MSO XP/2003 the toolbaars doesn't offer like that.

So maybe we also can just say, that the ribbon-principle was already implemented by OpenOffice.org before MS did it.

Best wishes,
Cor

--

Cor Nouws