A GUI interface is intrinsically user hostile,and best avoided.
Any GUI is going to be "awful:" and dysfunctional. The only question
is how dysfunctional it is going to be.

with that kind of attitude a lot of the stuff i see in the openoffice
'user experience' makes a lot more sense

I'm afraid that the GUI is the way forward, while computers can talk
to other computers and people who understand computers without using
imagery, the rest of the world need their icons. But that is only the
beginning, a gui can actually do so much more than any CLI, which
would probably just get immensely complicated and require some serious
learning, and funilly enough RTFM doesn't bake bread quite as well as
an intiutive interface.

You probably know that we 'have' to work with a GUI here, but if we're
only making your UI functional because we 'have to' and resign
ourselves to a fate of half adequate, then we're always going to lose
users like the OP to graceful and aesthetic interfaces. Which are time
and time again in this modern age appearing, granted there are some
ugly interfaces, but commercial and FOS software have some great
interfaces that are basically just pickup and play. I like F-Spot from
the GNOME guys as a good example, while more closer to home we are
currently getting our asses handed to us by the MS Office guys, (at
least in the obvious ways, i personally believe that there are many
advantages to our UI but it's not nearly as 'intiuitive as what MS are
currently putting out there'.

Some people would like to see OOo make serious headway on MSO, in
order to really pull out the big guns this project should get it's act
together on the UI front.

hopefully the User eXperience project at ux.openoffice.org is a good
starting point
--