M. Maas wrote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am not certain as to whether or not this idea has been uttered, or if
something like this actually exists in your software already. I have,
however, never been able to find anything likei t in OpenOffice or
indpendant email clients, so I thought I’d give this a go.

In my opinion, the main reason why the popularity of MS-Office persists,
appart from people not knowing any better, is the absence of an email client
in the OpenOffice suite to replace MS-Office Outlook. This massively
extensive email client is, in fact, the only reason why I still use
MS-Office. I’m quite impressed with the whole of the OpenOffice suite, but
this remains a big problem for me.

There are, of course, alternatives to MS-Outlook, such as Mozilla
Thunderbird, but, to my knowledge, those all lack the ability to utilize a
dedicated text writer program, such as MS-Word or OpenOffice Writer, for the
purpose of writing emails. I don’t have to elaborate on the advatages of
having full Word- or writer functionality while writing an email, as
supposed to the standard built-in resources of the mail clients themselves.

I realize that develloping your own email client would require vast amounts
of time, let alone to create one that can rival MS’ Outlook, but why bother
when such programs already exist. Therefor I would like to sugest a
colaboration between open office and Mozilla, for instance, where
Thunderbird, in this example, would eventually be able to utilize OpenOffice
Writer for setting up email messages.

I seem to remember reading on this mail list that this is in fact being done. As to when the resulting product will become available, that is a good question.