Replies inline.

On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 00:36:37 +0200
M. Maas wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>

> I am not certain as to whether or not this idea has been uttered, or
> if something like this actually exists in your software already. I
> have, however, never been able to find anything likei t in OpenOffice
> or indpendant email clients, so I thought I_d give this a go.
>

> In my opinion, the main reason why the popularity of MS-Office
> persists, appart from people not knowing any better, is the absence of
> an email client in the OpenOffice suite to replace MS-Office Outlook.
> This massively extensive email client is, in fact, the only reason why
> I still use MS-Office. I_m quite impressed with the whole of the
> OpenOffice suite, but this remains a big problem for me.
>

> There are, of course, alternatives to MS-Outlook, such as Mozilla
> Thunderbird, but, to my knowledge, those all lack the ability to
> utilize a dedicated text writer program, such as MS-Word or OpenOffice
> Writer, for the purpose of writing emails. I don_t have to elaborate
> on the advatages of having full Word- or writer functionality while
> writing an email, as supposed to the standard built-in resources of
> the mail clients themselves.

You really lost me here. What benefits are gained from using a word
processor for emails. Pretty text output is not a function of an email
program in my opinion and is wasteful of the authors time. I send and
receive text based mails only. If your recipient wants pretty text,
attach a document to an email(which is incredibly wasteful of bytes), or
post the page as HTML+Text as most email clients do (wasteful due to
duplication) or post the pretty stuff as a web page somewhere, with a
clickable link in the email, the best option as extra traffic is not
always generated.

> I realize that develloping your own email client would require vast
> amounts of time, let alone to create one that can rival MS_ Outlook,
> but why bother when such programs already exist. Therefor I would like
> to sugest a colaboration between open office and Mozilla, for
> instance, where Thunderbird, in this example, would eventually be able
> to utilize OpenOffice Writer for setting up email messages.

No self respecting programmer wants to create an email client to rival
Outlook, it does so much wrong. The format it saves emails in is
proprietary and non-standard for a start.

Having said that Mozilla Thunderbird with the Lightning add on is
working towards being a replacement for Outlook. But i would use them
separately for the reasons above.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/

OpenOffice.org or Suns StarOffice have programmers working on the
Lightning/Sunbird project with the Mozilla team:
http://www.openoffice.org/editorial/mozilla_lightning_and_OOo.html

> If this could be realised, I am positive that OpenOffice and Mozilla
> would, together, be able to meet MS-Office on equal footing and
> perhaps eventually win the fight. I hope this idea is of some use and
> I would like to know what you think of it.

Hmm - Mozilla is looking to spin off thunderbird anyway.
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/mitchell/archives/2007/07/email_futures.html
Tell them what you would like to see, tighter integration with OO.o?

--
Michael
Linux: The OS people choose without $200,000,000 of persuasion.