WHY ASK ME???

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernd Eilers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: openoffice.discuss
To: <discuss@openoffice.org>
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2007 6:13 AM
Subject: Re: [discuss] "users" mailing list issues

Hi there!

mike scott wrote:
> [ ... snip ...]
To cut to the chase, my initial thought is to replace the moderators with some sort of FAQ engine: an /unsubscribed/ user's email would be scanned automatically for keywords and matched against a selection of common FAQs. The most likely answers to be returned, along with a reference to the online documentation (including the list archives) and maybe google;

Well IMHO this doesn´t help very much. Such users come here because they need human interaction in order to solve their problems with modern technology. Those are usually overwhelmed by the mysteries of technology tools they use and just don´t know much about yet. Transferring what is basically indented to provide means of human to human communication - a mailing list - into some means to communicate with yet another previously unknown tool (the suggested FAQ engine) doesn´t really help to lower the entry barriers to technology. People come here to talk to other people not to talk to tools and we should keep it that way.

also a note on how to subscribe if that doesn't help.

The note on how to subscribe would be useful tough I think.

A subscriber would get straight through on the basis they probably understand how the list works.

What does the team think? Or am I alone in finding the present setup somewhat unsatisfactory?

Kind regards,
Bernd Eilers