On Tuesday 15 January 2008 08:24:28 Twayne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> XP Pro, 512 RAM, 2.7 GHz P4, reasonably sure free of virus/malware.
>
> Relatively new to OO.o 2.3.1 as of about a week and a half ago.
> I'm having quite a few problems with some large files in Writer.  I see
> many references to the issue in old posts but not anything that seems
> actually relevant.  Perhaps some clarification may be possible?
>
> Consistant Styles, only about 7 different styles used throughout.
>
> --  Is there a max recommended .odt file size that should be opened?
> Anything beyond 10 Meg seems to become pretty slow to open/save (.doc to
> .odt or already .odt)
>
> --  Anything in the 100 Meg area takes many moons to open, even if it's
> already a .odt.  I've had the occasional Save failure too along the
> lines of hte next item:
>
> --  The 200 Meg and up area often results inLoad failure:  file never
> opens, cpu use drops to near 0%, gray screen.
>
> Only have one file so large it makes OOo drop to its kness, and I'm in
> the process of breaking that up with Word, so things are workable, but
> ... I thought I'd ask to see if there are known size breakpoints to
> watch out for in general and whether such things are recognized by the
> authors.  Or, is there a better way to do what I'm tryhing to do?
> ---------------
>
> In this particular application it's a book of separately written
> chapters equating to about 400 pages when it's assembled into Master
> Document in Word.  Goal is to OO's Master Document mode to do the same
> thing as I used Word's MDoc for; TOC, chapter/page numbering, titling,
> etc..
>
> I am wide open to suggestions if there are better methods to use here.
>
> TIA,
>
> Twayne

Hi Twayne,

I'm trying to figure your problem because I rarely have an issue with this .
My assumption is that you created the document in MSWord and then opened the
resulting doc with Writer.  Does your document have a lot of graphics.  I'm
just asking because 100 megs for a 400 page document seem a bit on the high
side.

If I'm going to edit a document in Writer that has been created in Word I open
it with OOo, copy all the text and then paste special>unformatted text into a
new document.  This gets rid of all of the garbage that word puts into the
background of the document and that includes styles then I reformat using
Stylist.  If I'm in a hurry I'll sometimes use paste special>formatted
text(rtf)

Word users tend to format on the fly and that means that each bit of
formatting is a separate piece of code which tends to make them a little on
the heavy side.  Everytime a word document is closed, saved then reopened
more garbage is added.

Take for instance this document
http://www.minedu.govt.nz/web/downloadable/dl8030_v1/cat-newsletter-8.doc

The download size on my comp is 4.2 MB

After copy>paste special>formatted text the file is now 90.6kb.  A couple of
graphics were dumped and I had to create a landscape style to get some tables
to display properly, but nothing major.(try it yourself you'll see what I
mean)

Now, I add the caveat that I'm using SuSELinux rather than windows but I doubt
that there would be a great difference.

Document interchange between Word and Writer is a black art at the best of
times because MS won't release details of their file formats.  It is pretty
close to perfect, which says something amazing about OOo Developer's back
engineering abilities,  but sometimes there is a cost when working at
extremes, in this case file size.

Normally I work on an ODT file being about 25% of the size of the same file
saved as a doc.  That's a simple open in OOo and save as *.odt.

Get rid of all the garbage however by doing paste special and you can do a lot
better and OOo will deal with it very quickly.

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,