Graham Lauder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 08:24:28 Twayne wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> XP Pro, 512 RAM, 2.7 GHz P4, reasonably sure free of virus/malware.

> Hi Twayne,

Hi Again,

I tried out your recommendations on the largest piece I had left rather
than the full document and ran into some problems but they might be
system problems as opposed to OOo, so I'll tell you a bit about them and
then just say I'll be back when I'm more sure of my situation.  You've
been a great help so far and I appreciate your time.  Any furhter
comments are certainly welcome.
   I didn't experiment with the URL you provided because I believed you
and thought the time was better spent with my actual situation.

The file I chose was 86,224 K in size, so not small by any means.  The
copy/paste went well and a little patience/perseverence allowed the
newly pasted file to be saved.  It was 85,382K in size, about a Meg drop
in size.  Yes, lots of images, partly why I chose that particular one.
   AFTER the save to .odt, it would not open again in OOo.  Then I
noticed my Page File had jumped to about 700 Meg and was remaining
there, even after I closed oOffice.  In fact, system RAM was filled too
and even something so simple as Exlorer upped the Page File size.
   Looking at resources, I found about 7 open soffice.bin files and two
soffice.exe files.  I managed to kill those processes (sOffice was NOT
running and not listed as running in the Apps window) but nothing would
return the RAM and the Page File just grew with everything/anything I
tried to do.
   A reboot cleared that out, but ... I was able to reduplicate it again
by once more copying/pasting to a new, empty OO file.
   Another reboot, and I started my video editing apps, which are the
main users of the PF on this system, and it used and then returned
memory to me as it was supposed to and as I was used to seeing.

   So ... unless you have some ideas, I think I need to do more homework
before I'll be sure what the actual root of the memory problem is.
Apparently that's been at the root of my problems all along; I just
didn't realize what it was.  Not that I have my head around it at all
yet.  I guess I just didn't expect it to become this complex.

Regards,

Twayne