On Fri, 07 Mar 2008 15:05:38 -0600, NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 03/07/2008 12:00 PM, Alexandro Colorado wrote:
This basically says that you CAN distribute software under Bittorrent.
Since Bittorrent uses nodes where the users are not aware they are
distributing GPL-LGPL software and they give the right to deny
distributing this software if you dont agree to be a distributor.

Ah, I see that now.

But for the end user, wouldn't:

"You are not required to accept this License in order to receive or run
a copy of the Program."

indicate that the end-user is not required to accept the license to
receive or run OOo?

The only one talking about the end user is you. This clause is meant for distributors. End users have little to do with the GPL in general, only the 4 liberties that are also the same on the GPLv3. The supposed restrictions have more to do with distributors, developers, copylefters.

That's the part that really confuses me, as the
initial activation of OOo requires you to accept the agreement unless
bypassed by other means. On the other hand, if I obtain OOo with a linux
distro there is no such requirement.

Then again, I'll have to admit that I've never actually *read* the
thing, so I guess I'll have to reactivate an OOo version to see if
perhaps there is some additional license in the agreement window...

Just did:

<quote>
This product is made available subject to the terms of GNU Lesser
General Public License Version 2.1. A copy of the LGPL license can be
found at http://www.openoffice.org/license.html

------------------------------------
Third Party Code. Additional copyright notices and license terms
applicable to portions of the Software are set forth in the
THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html file.

------------------------------------
All trademarks and registered trademarks mentioned herein are the
property of their respective owners.

------------------------------------
Copyright 2002,2007 Sun Microsystems, Inc.

------------------------------------
</quote>

So maybe the acceptance requirement is actually for the Third Party
Code? file:///opt/openoffice.org2.4/THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME.html lists
quite a few, so maybe that explains the acceptance requirement in
standard OOo.

Interestingly enough; looking at Ubuntu/Debian (U)OOo license folder on
a machine where only the distro version is installed, the
THIRDPARTYLICENSEREADME is missing. The folder does contain the standard
Sun License file, which references the Third Party Code html file, but
that's it.