On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Ian Lynch wrote:

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:03:18 +0000
From: Ian Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: discuss@openoffice.org
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [discuss] OpenOffice Verson of Outlook?

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 14:01 -0400, Bob Foxworth wrote:
Just behind MS Word and just ahead of MS Excel, I use MS Outlook most of any
MS Office app. I do not see an equivalent among your modules. However, I use
Outlook only for email connecting to ACT! for addresses and updating notes
of "email sent" in customer records.

Soley for my interest to become free from the Evil Empire, I would gladly
use OpenOfiice if I can figure how to do my email and connect to ACT!. I
would gladly give up ACT! for something more feature-full.

There are a number of free CRM packages. Sugar CRM, E-groupware, etc We
used E-groupware instead of !ACT. However, I'm not sure of the e-mail
import support. I use evolution on Linux for my E-mail which is very
similar to Outlook but without some of the more annoying features like
viruses. Try downloading an Ubuntu CD and you can try it out from the
live CD without installing anything. There are other e-mail clients
around like Thunderbird or just use Google and Gmail if happy with web
based systems. The reason OOo does not include a mail client is that
there are many options out there and it doesn't seem a good use of
resources to duplicate that effort. Having said that it is one of the
most requested applications so purely from a marketing pov it's probably
an issue not having a mail client but it's a big job and resources are
not unlimited.

I may be missing something in my cursory browse through your software.
Please enlighten me.

Thank you,

Bob Foxworth

Interestingly, Star Office 5.2 had much interesting functionality, such as email, task scheduling, calendar, etc, and the functionality of that stuff, was deleted when Star Office 5.x was transformed into OpenOffice.

I believe that it had something to do with the Star Corporation being taken over by Sun, but I may be wrong.

See http://www.malaysiaindustry.com.my/biz_resources/freeSoftware/staroffice/index.php and http://www.malaysiaindustry.com.my/biz_resources/freeSoftware/staroffice/overview.php , to get an idea of what Star Office 5.2 contained in terms of functionality.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."