On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Le Ven 14 mars 2008 16:13, Bret Busby a écrit :

Interestingly, Star Office 5.2 had much interesting functionality,
such
as email, task scheduling, calendar, etc, and the functionality of
that
stuff, was deleted when Star Office 5.x  was transformed into
OpenOffice.

SO tried to be an autonomous integrated entity that praticaly took
over all your desktop. It was massively unpopular with users, since SO
had major problems working with anything not bundled within SO, and a
lot of the applications bundled in were poor replacements of existing
alternatives.

The refocusing of SO on core office functionalities saved the product
IMHO. The functionality you dream about was badly implemented, and a
few good tools have more value than many bad ones.

--
Nicolas Mailhot

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions.

Star Office 5.2 worked fairly well for me, and I miss its functionality.

Some things could have been improved, over time, but the abandonment of the functionality, and of the development of that suite, left a hole in computing.

Those are my opinions, and, as I said, we are each entitled to our opinions; you to yours, and, me to mine.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."