Royal Ozma of Oz wrote (14-5-2008 13:32)
Cor Nouws wrote:
Royal Ozma of Oz wrote (14-5-2008 1:29)
Cor Nouws wrote:
Royal Ozma of Oz wrote (13-5-2008 12:34)

the persons who had read my post didn't see what I am trying to say.

You didn't understand my mail of 12-5-08 14:51 (UTC+2) then.
I discussed the change in behaviour of 'Default formatting', one of the possibilities you mentioned to remove changed language attributes.

Now, am I supposed to cancel out manual (non-stylesheet based) language formatting without cutting-&-pasting in between an external text editor?

Better not.
What also works, is Ctrl-C, Ctrl-Shft-V > Paste as unformatted text.

Still you have to make sure that you paste it decent & taint-free area of the document. Paste as unformatted text does not always insert it as format free text when re-inserted in middle of non-stylesheet formatted text.

I didn't indicate in my example a move of the cursor, did I?
I know quite well how to manage OOo formatting (styles vs direct).

But pls read below...

I had discovered that 1.4 has a domino effect on other places:

  * Using "Default Formatting" under "Format" pull-down.
   (The main 1.4 thing)
  * Using "Default" character style with the "Styles and Formatting"
    window.
  * Clicking on "Reset" within dialog box which is opened by using
    "Character" under "Format" pull-down.

I had even tried clicking on "Reset" twice to see if the non-stylesheet language override disappears, but it didn't. Hint for an "enhancement" to make "Reset" to clear remove non-stylesheet language formatting if no other formatting needs to be removed. A warning dialog may be prompted as well.

As written before in this thread: language is not an attribute of the font.

How about adding a "Default" or "Cancel Manual Language Formatting" in bottom of the screen's language selector in future version to rectify this problem?

Maybe could be a valuable enhancement.

Another enhancement is to add a checkbox item in the Format pulldown menu or in Tools->Options: "Protect language when default formatting" or "Emulate Legacy Default Formatting".

But can you pls explain for me, what is the extra in that, above

Well, the character styles in "Style and Formatting" has a "Default" to remove character-styles. Now, why "Default Formatting" remove character-styles, whereas "Default" character style in "Style and Formatting" never removes non-stylesheet character styling.

Should "Default Formatting" and "Default" character-style in "Style and Formatting" be reformed to not touch each other's areas?

Looks as another subject. The Default paragraph style also does not remove manual formatting.

selecting and choosing the language of the surrounding text or choosing none do not check spelling)?

The paste-as-unformatted or copy-three-virgin-lines are merely quirks.

I mainly prefer to use styles to manage document language formatting. Sometimes, non-stylesheet languages are needed at some places which adding more character styles would be bothersome. Although I should start phasing in the practice of using stylesheet-based language formatting.

If a non-stylesheet language override is still in effect when I start on a new line, how can I change to another paragraph style that is intended and defined for another language without still being in the non-stylesheet language override mode?

That is a good example. Indeed, you have either to set the language to the original one, or the next paragraph will have the changed language.
A reset could be useful here.

I might need to change that paragraph style to another dialect of a language later on. If the non-stylesheet language overrides are in place everywhere, I had to spend more time editing the document.

This behaviour is - I see this now - different from how it was before. Changing the language property of a paragraph style does not change the language property of already place text hold in paragraphs with that style. Which is in line with the principle that language is not a property of the font/paragraph any more.

Regards,
Cor

--

"The Year of 3" -2008- "Het jaar van 3"

Cor Nouws
Arnhem - Netherlands - nl.OpenOffice.org - marketing contact