Hi Russell,

>> Just a note: As of OOo 3.0 the dictionary.lst is gone since it is the
>> reason for possibly loosing dictionary functionality when upgrading OOo.
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Thanks for the pointer, Thomas
>
> When will that happen, and will there be instructions somewhere as to
> how to build your own dictionaries? I see dictionary.lst is still there
> in the beta3.0 ~/user/wordbook/ installation.

I just checked with QA and the dictionary.lst (in fact the whole
directory share/dict) is already gone in Beta2.

But if you still make use of DicOOo to download dictionaries (what
should not be done anymore) you will probably still get the plain
dictionary files and the dictionary.lst.

As of OOo 3.0 dictionaries should be provided as extensions.
For details look at
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Extension_Dictionaries

In the end those oxt extensions are just just zip Archives with the same
old dictionary files as before plus some extras (xcu file and
description.xml).
For a reference dictionary have a look at
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/french-dictionary-reform1990

However distribution maintainers argued that they don't like dictionary
extension and their benefits that much since they can not be shared
along with Firefox and Thunderbird. Thus the old plain dictionaries can
be used as well. But I'm not aware of the path those system wide
dictionaries need to be installed to. It likely depends upon the
distribution.
However even those ones should not use the dictionary.lst anymore.
Instead the locale the dictionary is to be used for is obtained from the
file name itself. The usual names from OOo before should work for at
least all dictionaries that came along with OOo 2.x.
But I'm not sure about names like en_USMedical.dic or similar ones. That
would be left to try-and-error, looking at the code or asking the
developer of that code bit (Caolan McNamara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, also
[EMAIL PROTECTED]).

Hope that helps.
If you have detailed questions just ask per PM, so that I may not miss a
posting...

Regards,
Thomas