On 2009-01-10, Lloyd Lecuona <lloyd.lecu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> LOVE OpenOffice BUT and its a HUGE but!! You are going to have to work a
> plan to allow Microsoft Word to open the ODT documents automatically. I
> sent out 200 emails to employees with OpenOffice attachments and only 3
> could open the file! You will not grow unless you are able to chomp into
> the leader in the industry and to do that we the users have to be able
> to do it without hassles or large plug ins.

Microsoft made a strategic decision to not support the ISO standard
document formats OpenOffice.org uses by default. There is an add-in for
Microsoft Office to allow Microsoft Office to read and write ISO
standard document formats:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=169337&package_id=298780&release_id=639925

It's not tht "huge" -- only a little over 4MB.

Rumor has it Microsoft has reconsidered their decision not to support
ISO document formats and will be including native support for ISO
formats in a future release of Microsoft office.

--

John (j...@os2.dhs.org)