Hi,

please find some comments inline. I shortened the cited texts.

On 10/15/09 00:45, James E. Lang wrote:
I am a big fan of OOo. My remarks below are not intended to be an attack on
anyone. I have included personal examples of problems I have had with the OOo
documentation. I suppose I am straying from the original topic. If so, I'm
truly sorry.

this is the discuss mailing list, so let's discuss. Finding help is certainly a usability issue, so the subject of this thread is almost right.

I find the installed Help just fine. It's just that I often don't find what I
need when I look there. I also find it near impossible to find specific
information that I need from any list or forum archives. I'm sure I'm not alone
so please be tolerant of people like me.

a)  I'd suggest both PDF and ODF formats.  The latter so that the user
can add notes, documentation , etc that they (the individual) thinks
is necessary/useful.

may be adding personal notes to the installed Help is a good idea.
BTW, you can copy and paste every Help page to a text document. No problem to create your own Help document over time.

I, for one, have no experience in updating a wiki page. I also would not rely too strongly on a wiki page that I had updated. It would contain information that I have learned by experience and it would be as accurate as I could make
it but we all think we have learned certain things that simply are not so.

I'm confident that the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swarm_intelligence will take care of any errors, let's say on the FAQ pages of the Wiki http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ
The Wiki would be empty if only perfect contributors were allowed.

I would also add that not all of us are as savvy as you are. Not knowing where
to look is a big part of the problem. As for myself, online manuals in the
format of the documents I have examined from the Documentation wiki are not
easily searched and therefor it is very frustrating to try to use them.

I concur that there is a lot of documentation available at the OOo web sites. It just is not easily found or used by the novice user who needs it the most.

The normal Wiki search sucks. On the http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation main page we have two search boxes: the normal at top right, and a special one following the text: "type here to search this Documentation Wiki". This uses a local Google search and returns valid results.

Part of the problem is, of course, that in particular in the open
source
paradigm the "sexy" part is updating the code while the documentation is often relegated to the status of the ignored step child. This is not just a problem
for OOo.

so get some experience how to update Wiki pages and do it. It is quite easy, and the community would thank you.