----- Original Message -----
From: "Cliff" <tripl...@sympatico.ca>
To: <discuss@openoffice.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:47 PM
Subject: [discuss] Re: piece of crap word processor

> On January 11 2010 8:02 pm, Alex Nyunt wrote:
>
> > Michael,
> >
> > I appreciate your response.  Indeed, compared to the tone of much of the
> > mail I have received in reference to this, your response is measured and
> > reasonable.
> >
> > What can I say?  I was angry.  I am still angry.  A large volume of
people
> > have pointed out that OpenOffice does have autosave, a fact of which I
am
> > aware, having used this program in one form or another for about seven
> > years; however, in this case that function did not work.   The program
> > froze and when I restarted it, instead of encountering the recover
> > function as I
> > expected, the main menu came up--no recover.  Since there seems to be
> > actual communication going on at this point, perhaps you could look into
> > the reasons that something like that might occur so that it doesn't
happen
> > to anyone else in the future.
>
> The autosave function was broken in one version of OOo. It was 3.0.? I
can't
> remember exactly, but I do remember being extremely frustrated when I lost
> about eight hours work because I had come to rely on the autosave feature
> working.

System crash?  It should be able to be set so you're prompted to save your
file upon exiting the program.  Therefore it still shouldn't be a problem
unless the system crashed.
You're not saying you use Windoze like I do, are you? <g>  I mean I may be
wrong but I've long heard about Linux's stability that there was one obvious
conclusion.
But luckily the auto recover function works when all else fails.