Wm Stewart wrote:

> They key point I'm trying to highlight is that 99% is not enough to
> reach the tipping point.  Solving the last 1% of interoperability issues
> with something as important to users as office documents are all that is
> keeping the world back from adopting OO as their office suite of choice.

First, OOo already has better interoperability with old MS Office
formats than MS Office itself does, if that's what you are getting at.

Second, the only way to stop using proprietary formats is to stop using
them.  Wasting resources on chasing that last 1% does not provide much
of a return on investment.  Most legacy documents can be retired through
attrition, the details of these archival strategies were worked out long
ago.

New documents can be brought into the 21st century as ODF.

"The days of proprietary technology must come to an end"
 -- Vice Adm. Mark Edwards, US Navy
   deputy chief of naval operations for communications
http://fcw.com/articles/2008/03/06/navy-to-focus-only-on-open-systems.aspx

Regards
/Lars