On 02/23/2010 01:14 PM, hans nobody wrote:
Hi all,

At work (where we unfortunately have to use MS Office), I have often
the need to create a presentation or text-document made up by a
couple of fotos with comments, to explain or document mechanical
engineering problems.

I'm wondering, if there is a plug-in/add-on or similar available for
Open Office that would ease my work. I'm thinking of something, that
works as follows:

1. Select several picture-files (preferably jpeg&  tiff) in the
file-browser of the OS (Win or Linux)

2. Opening the context-menu (right mouse-button or the key on the
keyboard), where the user can choose from 2 commands like "Create OO
Writer document from selected pictures" and "Create OO Impress
presentation from selected pictures"

3. Whichever command is selected, some picture-manipulation routine
resizes the selected pictures in the background until their
files-size(*) is less than 250kb per picture and until their
x-/y-dimensions(*) are small enough to fit 1 picture per page/slide
if the pictures should be beyond these limits (* = mentioned
properties should be customizable by the user somewhere in the OO
preferences dialog box)

4. The corresponding OO applications (Writer or Impress) creates&
opens a new document(**) that contains as many pages/slides as
pictures that were selected in step 1, with 1 picture per page/slide
and some text-box beside or below it to add a comment (** = some
template for these semi-automatic created doc's should be definable
in the OO preferences dialog box)

5. The user can add comments to the pictures in the provided
text-boxes and some arrows and other elements if desired, that help
to explain the things that shall be explained or documented

6. The user saves the document or presentation and/or sends it by
e-mail using the existing OO functionality in the file-menu

Such a tool would save me (and for sure, many other office workers) a
lot of time.

Does someone knows a plug-in/add-on like this or knows how to
implement it?

Thanks.

Hans

I would look take a look at ImageMagick. It is an image manipulation program that can be run in multiple ways. I have not looked but it may be able to produce what you want or at least do some of what you want.

--
Robin Laing