Drew Jensen wrote:
 Quick warning it's a Sunday email and I ramble a bit...

On 09/26/2010 07:46 AM, Christoph Noack wrote:
Hi everyone!

Am Samstag, den 25.09.2010, 22:21 -0600 schrieb Larry Gusaas:
On 2010/09/25 9:16 PM  Harold Fuchs wrote:
Ah. OK Now I see, thanks. The icon for each type of *document* - text, spreadsheet, presentation etc. Yes, I agree. That's very poor and should be changed. Has someone filed an issue? What Issue Number? -
I'll vote for it.
Issue #112141. Currently 240 votes for it. The new icons were imposed on us by the ODF cabal and Oracle despite protests and lack of proper community input. Despite protests the decision has not been changed. It seems to be a political decision beyond the control of the developers or the community. So much for
the fiction that OOo is a community driven project.
Without being able to add something substantial at the moment; there is
also a request to the OpenOffice.org Community Council to discuss this
issue. Besides the issue, it might help to know more about the involved
parties.

In the agenda table, please scroll down to "2010-04-29#2".

The page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council/Agenda

Bye,
Christoph

Hi Chris,

I've pretty much avoided this whole conversation, the color in icon part of it anyway, but a good time to jump in and yes hijack this thread perhaps.

I say hijack because, IMO, the root cause of the longevity and the evolving tenor of this issue is not monochromatic icons. Nor is it the absurd amount of time it's taking to all nod in agreement on a logo and it's uses, or the broader question of Branding.

However, Branding may be the term that gets closest to the actual, IMO, issues at play.

OpenOffice.org is FOSS - by definition then there is always the option for members of the project to fork to another. There is in the end nothing the parent project can do about it, short of keeping folks in such a mind that they choose not to do so.

If however some segment of the project members do choose to do so, there really isn't any way to stop them.

What the parent project can do is control copyrighted materials - the branding.

Sun had, it appears, a rather liberal policy, by action perhaps more then stated policy, when it came to who could do what with these branding items. Which can be stated another way - they did very little to defend their copyright claims with regards to OpenOffice.org branding elements.

I recall that one of the first discussions I joined on an OO.o mailing list was in regards to vendors on the internet selling download links for OpenOffice.org binaries - pretty much a straight off scam, if nothing else a totally un-ethical business. Time wise that was somewhere in late 2004, early 2005. I will not make a long story out of this point, as most reading here already know it. When however did the owner of the project finally get around to enforcing the copyrights - just before the Oracle buy out. Do you not think this was Oracle insisting that Sun actually get about doing their fiduciary responsibility with regards to the item for sale, OpenOffice.org. Of course it was, IMO. A good thing for the common person, sure, the driving reason for the action, less certain.

I think that of more concern to Oracle were the members of the OpenOffice.org community already developing and supporting shallow forks of the code. Those that used not only the code but the branding elements also, being of most concern, yet not exclusive of those with much different branding.

Right here I want to say one thing - there is nothing in any of that which is inappropriate from the perspective of any organization looking to acquire the assets of another.
  <text section cut>
OpenWorld is over - Oracle Cloud Office has been revealed and is TTBOMK a proprietary software application, built with proprietary tools, specifically JavaFX.

The Sun folks in Hamburg and the Oracle staff had to know that if this was to be the Oracle plan that it would test the strength of the bonds within the OpenOffice.org community. Here I do not mean only those, like myself, acting as individuals, but that it would stress the bonds with the different commercial vendors and non-profit organizations that make up the bulk of the community.

The last word, as found in the referenced Community Council minutes above, is that some modification to the icons, for UX reason, would begin - that this will now include the wider community, but with limits. OK, actually that's fair enough.

I would suppose that given the covers are finally off the new Oracle product the time to openly discuss, in detail, the future of the current OpenOffice.org code line is also finally here. Icons included..

Best wishes to all those that read this, those I know personally and those for whom I have not yet had the pleasure,

Drew
I could very well be wrong in this, but I think that Oracle could without a huge amount of trouble or effort turn their own fork of OOo, the one that Sun always sold as Star Office, (Oracle has a new name for it IIRC) into a real competitor to MS Office. First make a substantial change in the manner of upgrades so that an upgrade only consists of the portion of code that is actually changed and not the entire package, also therefore permitting you to retain your personal dictionary. (I have been very reluctant to upgrade from my current version of OOo (3.1.1) because I don't want to have to enter over 1000 compound words all over again, (whoever set up the spell checker dictionary seemed to have an aversion to compound words) and I have actually turned AutoCorrect into a fairly powerful grammar checker, which I would loose) I will probably upgrade when version 4.0 comes out. And add an equivalent of MS Outlook, as well as integrating a full function database, not just a front end, or whatever Base is properly called. Although I just used it to set up a database of my DVD movie collection and it seemed perfectly adequate for that. Most of the rest of the things that people complain about as keeping them from switching from MS Office to OOo are minor tweaks and making the Presentation module much better. I suspect that Oracle would do well to sell several versions of whatever it is they call their retail version of OOo, one for consumers, one for businesses, and a third for novelists and screenwriters and playwrights. OOo Writer is already better for this purpose than MS Word which tends to become unstable with documents the length of novels.