On 09/28/2010 12:43 AM, Simon Brouwer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What do you make of this?

Seems to me that the petty icon, branding, licencing, & other issues
finally pissed enough devs off to create a proper fork. Note the:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/supporters/
list & comments. Also note the release of the software at the time of
the annoucement... obviously this had been in the making for quite some
time as you simply do not pop up with beta software in just a few days
time.

Now I hope that the Document Foundation will: 1) put their mail lists up
on gmane.org so that folks don't have to use email to read/respond to
the lists, 2) fix their download page to include the DEB files (go here
instead: http://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/testing/),
and 3) not get caught up in an Oracle vs Google/Android/Java type lawsuit.

Fires right up on Ubuntu 10.04 (32bit and 64bit); all sound/video is
working (I guess that this is a go-oo tweak & uses gstreamer out of the
box), it's fast, it includes the linux quickstarter, it's impressive.
Gets installed to /opt/libreoffice3 so I can run & test in parallel to
standard OOo, dev OOo, and Ubuntu OOo (U)OOo.

Only complaint is that the Windows version does the same as go-oo and
removes the standard OOo on Windows rather installing in parallel like
it does in linux.