On 1/23/2011 8:39 PM, Stefano Landi wrote:
Hello everyone,

I was putting together a document this evening and created a table with 5
columns and about 30 rows. At the 15th row or so I wanted to split the table
into two distinct tables and so I selected the entire 15th row, then went up to
the menu and did Table/Convert/Table to Text... and then chose tab delimiters
to replace seperate out the text in the row I was converint. What happened next
is that the entire table just disappeared leaving me with all my text separated
by tabs. I tried this several times in both OO 3 Aqua for Mac and OO 3 for
Windows. I also tried it in NeoOffice as well, all with the same results, the
entire table disappears. I was wondering if anyone might have another way of
converting a single row in a table to text so as to split the table in two or
more?

thanks,

Stefano Landi
e-mail: stef...@slandi.net
blog: http://www.slandi.net

The option that breaks one table into two is Table > Split Table, with the cursor on what should be the first row of the new table. You'll get several options about what to do with the table header, too. As you've discovered, Table > Convert > Table to Text operates on the whole table, regardless of selection. The Text to Table operation creates a table from selected text, though.

If you really do want to create text from a single row of a table, you can select the row, then cut or copy it, then paste somewhere outside the table. That will give you a one-row table which you can then Convert to Text.