It isn't commonly a problem in practice because flows most often start
off with a single packet and wait for a return packet before ramping up
packet volume.  I've been aware of the issue for years, but you are the
only other person I ever recall bringing it up on the mailing lists.

Do you have a real situation (not a hypothetical scenario) where you see
this causing trouble?