Hell All Sirs!
                     I remember so many courses in my bachelors, where I couldn't even get what is this stuff used to do, so I forgot them, if you know the practicallity, thats solves half of the problem, as a student thats my experience, that leaves a long lasting experience on your mind, that cheers you a bit, Oh man! wonderful, is that Cray computer giant written with this Ibrahim Silbershatz, man, Oh that smooth curve in MS Word is generated by this cubic spline method of my Numerical Methods course. I don't know even the meaning of "Teach the common stuff:was Loop bound and Errors", now after reading all above what you people have produced, I am interested in "19C political philosophy", whats that, cause i wasn't taught these kind of things yet, whats "how cognitive factors have an impact", I couldn't study compilers in my bachelors, I dropped the course the teacher, I didn't like him at all, as he was the most boring and non practical professor in my college.
                      Sorry, if i have said on this topic, without understanding what's going on.

On 1/31/06, Frank Wales <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 01/31/2006 03:21 PM, Derek M Jones wrote:
> Students find programming hard; there is a subset that enables
> people to write everything they need to;

By 'everything they need to', I take it you mean
'everything necessary for a passing grade'; I know
all about tactical studying, and I don't confuse it
with learning.

> learning subset makes optimal use of time; don't foreign language
> courses teach the most common words and grammar usage first?

The best way to learn a foreign language is to
speak it with native speakers.  I stopped relying
on what I was taught in German class at school once
I found out that every railway station uses the term
'Gleis' to refer to platforms, and not 'Bahnsteig'
as all the books claimed.  That, alone, wasted about
20 minutes of my first day in Germany.

Plus, it's valuable to know all the common swear words
too, which my school books were oddly circumspect about.

> Those going to to program professionally can always learn the
> crinkly bits later.

Then maybe we should stream the students: 'serious' versus 'need
some credits in anything', and only neglect the second set.

Besides which, are we just talking about teaching now?  I
thought the original request was for ordnance to smite the
opponents of defensive programming, not for grease to
squeeze students through educational pipes more efficiently.
--
Frank Wales [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]