On 02/06/2006 12:32 PM, Lindsay Marshall wrote:
Over the years I have encouraged students to go off and learn to draw,
though have never integrated it as part of a course : the hard problem I
would predict would be overcoming people's reluctance to actually draw.
People are often convinced that they can't draw and are reluctant to
try, particularly "in public". I'd be interested to know how you would
deal with this - clearly in a life class people are there to learn to
draw, but the same is not true of a programming class!

Have you had a look at 'Drawing on the right side of the brain' by
Betty Edwards?  She uses a bunch of techniques to try to overcome
the "I can't draw" frame of mind, such as drawing without looking
at the paper, finishing partly-completed shapes to get the hang of
it, and (crucially) drawing familiar things upside down, to try
to get the brain's natural "I know what this should look like"
meddling out of the loop.

I also strongly recommend getting people to do things like
drawing or painting to reach the parts of the brain that
other careers can't reach.

If you have a load of reticent sketchers who can't draw,
won't draw, maybe you could have a fallback of sewing, or
stringing beads together, or a percussion-and-saxophone jam
session, or singing the 'Free Software Song' around a burning
pile of GIF images:

  http://www.gnu.org/music/free-software-song.html

Who wants to do that?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?
--
Frank Wales [EMAIL PROTECTED]