I've started investigating science and engineering classes that are
explicitly requiring programming.

- Georgia Tech, North Carolina State, and Purdue are now using a new
introductory Physics text "Matter and Interactions" by Ruth Chabay and
Bruce Sherwood that uses Vpython for problem-solving and modelling.
- A number of Biology courses around the US, influenced by the National
Academy report "Bio2010," are now requiring programming (in at least
Excel VBA).
- David Auslander's mechanical engineering courses at Berkeley use
programming to solve problems iteratively that don't lend themselves to
closed form solutions.

The teachers using these approaches complain that our traditional
introductory courses don't prepare students for science learning.  They
care more about representation (e.g., how you represent a vector is
critical for the kinds of algorithms that you write in physics),
floating point limitations, and iterative methods, and less about type
safety and object orientation.  These teachers also complain that they
don't want to teach programming, but find that they have to, to make up
for what we didn't teach them in CS1.

My guess is that, in these kinds of modern science and engineering
classes, we should see significant cross-curriculum transfer, if we do
it right.

We did a follow-up study a year later of students who took our media
computation class.  These were all non-CS majors.  About 20% of the
respondents had written programs for themselves since the class had
ended, without taking any additional CS classes.  While not a
cross-curricular transfer, I think that does count as transfer outside
of the computer science classroom context.  We published the result in
SIGCSE 2005 -- draft version of the paper at
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/mediaComp-plan/uploads/37/designing-non-major
-CS1-v6.pdf

Mark