i think as long as students consider the creation of
software as a "have to" and not as a "want to" the
respective teaching efforts will by and large fail.

secondly, i think current university education leads
in may cases to a situation where true understanding
is sacrificed by a superficial "handling" of the
information relevant for passing exams.
students approach their studies in a utilitaristic and
opportunistic way and teachers are more concerned with
presenting what students need to learn than with asking
what student want to learn.

i guess that student projects that require capability
in the subject and capability in creating software might
be one tactic to show students that real capability
makes sense.

best regards,

gerold