At 22:55 -0700 2007-10-03, Erik Hetzner wrote:
"Aron Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
.... a status code of 200 would seem to be the only
 > appropriate success response from an HTTP HEAD request.  Status codes
 201 through 203 appear to be inappropriate to HEAD requests, as well.

To be pedantic: the status code is NOT part of the message headers,

True, and thanks for clarifying this - this seems to have been conflated in several past posts, including my own.

The status code is a component of the HTTP status line, which - although it is also part of the text-based response to HTTP requests - is considered a separate part of the HTTP response from the headers.

Adam Taft wrote:
 > >A call to HEAD should return _exactly_ the same headers as the same
 >call to GET.

    True.  Responses to HEAD requests should return the same set of
 HTTP headers as responses to GET requests, except for the empty
 entity body.

    As a slight refinement, however, responses to HEAD requests should
 not always return the range of status codes appropriate to GET
 > requests. ...

Could you point these status codes out to me? I can't figure out which
ones you might mean.

In this discussion, Adam Taft stated his belief that it is inappropriate to return a 204 status code as part of the response from a HEAD request:

At 20:22 -0600 2007-10-03, Adam Taft wrote:
You don't need to send 204 because, by definition, HEAD already means no content.

  That status code is entirely appropriate for GET requests.

Aron Roberts  Information Services and Technology . 2195 Hearst
              University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-4876 USA
              [EMAIL PROTECTED] . +1 510-642-5974 . fax 510-643-5385
              http://purl.org/net/aron