At Mon, 8 Oct 2007 17:35:00 +0000 (UTC),
Sean Landis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Regarding my previous comments regarding a test using curl; it appears curl
> is hung up on the fact that content length has a value and there is no
> entity. I did determine that Restlet does remove the content. Sorry for being
> misleading on that point.

It does appear that curl is wrong here. I have filed a bug report at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1810273&group_id=976&atid=100976>

You can obtain correct behavior by using the -I/--head option instead
of -X HEAD, which is good to know.

> I'd say that Restlet meets the requirements of the spec and that's
> good. Although I still think it would be better to leverage Uniform
> entirely and it seems awkward to me that HEAD is an exception.
>
> My understanding of REST is that HEAD is part of the uniform
> interface and therefore should be supported in the same way, and to
> the same extent as the rest of the HTTP methods. I was very
> surprised when HEAD did not conform to the programming model in
> place for the uniform interface and I suspect others would be too.

I don’t understand what you mean here by uniform interface. Uniform
interface in REST refer to inter-application semantics, not
intra-application. And it doesn’t, to my understanding, mean that HEAD
& GET must have identical semantics, rather that the semantics of a
GET or HEAD request be the same for all resources. Am I
misunderstanding you here?

best,
Erik Hetzner
;; Erik Hetzner, California Digital Library
;; gnupg key id: 1024D/01DB07E3