Hello Steve,

>  1. how often does the snapshot get updated?
The public repository (http://maven.restlet.org) is updated on 1st and
15th of each month, except in cases of bug fixing.
There is also a private repository which is refreshed with new
releases at the moment they are made which mans that the snapshots are
refreshed on a daily frequency.
You can have more details about both private and public repositories
by having a look at this page
(http://www.restlet.org/downloads/maven).

>  2. is it possible to tweak the settings on the site so that the
>  expires: header on all the -SNAPSHOT artifacts have a very short
>  lifespan (a few hours, maybe).
At this time, the expiration time is set to 10 minutes.

best regards,
Thierry Boileau