hello Jerome,

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 06:56:47 Jerome Louvel wrote:
> Hi Raif,
>
> Cool!
>
> * Java Bindings to XML Schemas: we already support JAXB and JiBX
> technologies. What would adding an extension for XMLBeans add
> (pros/cons)? There are many serializations technologies to consider
> (Castor comes to mind) so we need to be very selective in what we add to
> the main Restlet project.

i thought of this while working on the patch for supporting "init-param"
(Issue #670) in the org.restlet package and not as another Extension.  the
current code relies only on the DOM structure of a restlet.xml file.  my
suggestion is to replace those bits by (a) pre-compiling schema-to-Java
bindings for whatever is defined in the Components.xsd --which today is not
much but could be a subject of change depending on how authentication and
authorization will be configured in the future-- and (b) replacing the
Component and other classes configuration and initialization based on the
Data Access Objects representing a successful parsing of a restlet.xml.

the current code has the advantage of not relying on other than a JDK but
also has the disadvantage IMO of not separating the configuration from the
other life-cycle states of software components.  in addition having those
Java Binding classes would allow configuring a Restlet application through
other than a restlet.xml file.

> * authorization toolkit: thanks for the pointer to Tomcat Realms, I've
> added a comment about it in issue #505. This is definitely an area that
> would benefit from contributions during Restlet 1.2 development cycle!

great.

> * KML/KMZ support: this might be a too application specific to fit into
> the main Restlet project, but you could start a dedicated open source
> project (for example on Google Code), that would leverage Restlet. We
> would be happy to point users to it and support you.

makes sense.

what's the next step?

--
cheers;