Hi,

I am relatively new to Restlet and am facing a problem regarding HTTP
Authentication.
I have a Resource that when handling a POST Request has to decide dynamically
wheter it requires
authentication or not (basically based on the XML the client sends). I want
that the clients can use the HTTP Auth when making the request and do not have
to send username/password in the posted XML, because when posting to the
resource they do not know in advance if they should authenticate in advance.
I have tried to use the ChallengeResponse object in the constructor of my
Resource, and am able to get the username, but the password I get does not
correspond with the one the client sended, it is somehow encrypted. How can I
get the plaintext password the client sends (its a MD5 hash)? Or can I somehow
convert the password in my database to the same format as the ChallengeResponse
object holds to compare it?
I have seen the Guard object described in the tutorial, but can't figure out
how I can use it to secure my Resource dynamically.
Also your suggested book RESTFful Web Services does not provide an answer to my
question (but to others I had, its a great book btw.).

any ideas on how to solve this?

have a nice day
mstricker