Hi Stephan,

On Jun 13, 2009, at 3:45 PM, Stephan Koops wrote:

> Hi Rhett,
>>> Hello Everyone, I had a question about the 405 response message
>>> returned by Restlet 1.1.1.  When I try a parse the XML response, I
>>> get the following:
>>>
>>>    [Fatal Error] :8:3: The element type "br" must be terminated by
>>> the matching end-tag "</br>".
>>>
>>> The entire response:

>>> <head>
>>>  <title>Status page</title>
>>> </head>
>>> <h3>The method specified in the request is not allowed for the
>>> resource identified by the request URI</h3><p>You can get technical
>>> details <a
>>> href="http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.4.6
>>> ">here</a>.<br>
>>> Please continue your visit at our <a href="/">home page</a>.
>>>
>>> I'm sure I can edit the response before it gets out of my service,
>>> but I thought this might be something useful to bring up.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any insight.
>>>

>> SAX can't parse it because it's HTML, not XML.  (<br> alone is valid
>> HTML.)  You should be able to determine whether it is HTML or XML in
>> your client by examining the content type header.  Is restlet not
>> setting that header correctly?
>>
>> If you want to provide XML-formatted error responses, I believe
>> you'll
>> have to implement them yourself.
> But it is a problem, if Restlet would return <br/> instead od <br> ?
> Than it is also correct XML (and XHTML?)

I wouldn't have a problem with that.  At the same time, though, I
don't see why you'd need to parse it as XML.  The message is basically
just translating from the error code into English.  Since the error
code is already part of the response, doesn't it make more sense to
skip parsing the body if there's an error and the service you're
talking to doesn't define special error bodies?

After all, if the representation being requested were JSON (or PNG, or
PDF, etc.), you'd get this same response body back with the error (by
default).  It's not Restlet's job to provide error bodies that are
parseable as the same content type as a success would be.

Rhett

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2361892