Hello Robert,

 >Is restlet appropriate for this needs?
yes, as any other kind of server!

 >How would you realize the communication between Client (Javascript)
and Server (Java) with the help of restlet?
Ajax, surely. When the user click on the load button, the second frame
is refreshed and the URL of the target page is sent to the server
resource by the ajax client (which is better than sending the whole
document). The targeted resource retrieves the HTML page (which can be
tidied using *http://tidy.sourceforge.net
<http://tidy.sourceforge.net/>). The server resource then returns data
(rdf or xml, or json, etc) to the ajax client in order to refresh the
main frame.

*So, one server resource either accepting GET request (with a query
parameter that contains the target URI), or accepting POST requests
(with the target URI in the body). It returns either RDF, XML, etc
according to the client preferences.

Best regards,
Thierry Boileau

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2431075