On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 17:04 +0100, Thierry Boileau wrote:
> Hello Duong,
>
> >   1) Whether the Restlet client has the Same Server Origin (SSO)
> > restriction as with JavaSript?
> >
> Actually, this is at the end pure javascript code, so the restriction
> applies plainly.
> see http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit-doc-1-5/wiki/FAQ_SOP

Yes, this is what I referred to: Same Origin Policy (SOP) of browser. I
have explored GWT StockWatcher for cross-site JSONP request/response.

> >   2) If there is SSO restriction as in the case of JavaScript, are there
> > facilities to manage request/response from the client to different
> > servers to make sure that the response coming from its request?
> I'm sorry, I'm not sure to fully understand your question.

In that cross-site mashup, one needs a facility to store requested
callbacks so it can cancel the no-response callback after certain time
lapsed and identify the callback actually coming from its request. This
may require a facility more sophisticated than just a HashMap of
callbacks as shown in GWT StockWatcher. I wonder if GWT Reslet client
has that facility in place?.

> > Same as the server to make sure that the request comes from legitimate
> > clients?
> >
> Since the server exposes resources to the whole Web, I suppose you are
> talking about the "authentication" topic. You want the server to check
> that the incoming request comes from an authenticated client. It can use
> one of the available authentication mechanism such as HTTP_BASIC,
> HTTP_DIGEST, HTTP_BASIC+HTTPS, cookies, etc.

It is much more complicated than that. When the server serves a
resource, it identifies the request with a user profile and its unique
token. If the user has not been authenticated, then guest Id with
location may be in the user profile. When user is authenticated, the
profile is changed accordingly. User second request and/or client state
maintained at the browser always has the server token so the server know
the client state, and if required can be directed to Authentication
process.

I wonder if Restlet and/or anyone has explored this area working with
GAE. I am also exploring Google Wave where Wave robots are at the Web
Server served by servlet urls. The web server uses Reslet for resource
Request/Response to be integrated with Wave server. Any comment in this
area is appreciated.

Thanks
Duong BaTien
DBGROUPS and BudhNet