In researching how to Stream out large amounts of data, such as a big
result set from a Search Result, I've noticed that it's something that's
actually encouraged, which I hadn't thought of before as I always
thought it was weird to see a page load a little bit at a time.

My question is whether it's common practice to do this.  I currently
store all of my results in memory, then put it in the Data Model of my
TemplateRepresentation instance, which takes time, and probably given a
big enough amount of users at once, may cause some big delays.  I also
iterate over the Result Set before returning it to the user.

My other question is, in my case, would one stream out each result as it
arrives from the back end?  I have FreeMarker templates that iterate
over these Results, so streaming out each one would require some kind of
interruption of that page loading, or to load the page and do some value
replacement, which I'm doing now as part of a prototyping experiment.

Are there suggestions for good streaming of large Result Sets or am I
looking to the wrong place?  I'm using Restlet 2.0M7.

Thanks!
Dustin

--

Dustin N. Jenkins | Tel/Tél: 250.363.3101 | dustin.jenk...@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca

facsimile/télécopieur: (250) 363-0045

National Research Council Canada | 5071 West Saanich Rd, Victoria BC.
V9E 2E7

Conseil national de recherches Canada | 5071, ch. West Saanich, Victoria
(C.-B) V9E 2E7

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2456588