And one further note, wrapping the client resource does not seem to change
the results.

That is to say, going from:
  ClientResource commitsResource = new ClientResource(getContext(),
commitsRef);
  commitsRep = commitsResource.get();

To:
    ClientResource clientResource = new ClientResource(commitsRef);
    CommitmentsResource commitsResource =
clientResource.wrap(CommitmentsResource.class);
    Representation commitsRep = null;
    commitsRep = commitsResource.represent();

Changes nothing....
RB