On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM, Richard Berger <rich...@landisfamily.org>wrote:

> Do you think that this problem has persisted this long due to the lack of
> clients built with Restlet (vs. the much larger number of servers built
> with Restlet)?

That's not really a fair question: You're leading the witness, counsel. :-)

The concept of tunneling exception information via the Status is
meaningless unless both client and server are Restlet-based, and one of the
wonderful things about Restlet is that it doesn't impose that kind of
coupling on the developer. Clients can't in general assume a particular
structure of the error response entity; all they can really count on is the
status code and associated reason phrase. If the client has specific
knowledge of how a given server serves its error responses, Restlet has all
the tools necessary to take advantage of that knowledge.

Still, since the client proxying machinery can do such a neat job of
creating the illusion of a remote Java call in the case that you *do* have
Restlet on both sides, it seems a shame that the illusion doesn't
extend quite as neatly to exceptions. There might be an issue already to
address this; I can't find it just at the moment.

Thanks again for providing the workaround!!

You're welcome!

--tim

http://restlet.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=4447&dsMessageId=2984237