Philip,

The MOST important thing about being a member is not $ but rather being
Excellent.

Students are can get a membership for $15 a month. Non students can become
a member for $35 a month

To apply for membership you need to apply before a meeting. Get a sponsor
(someone who is already a member). And attend a meeting where the
membership can get to know you. The membership will discuss and vote and
you will have your answer that day. Next pay your dues on time and you are
a member. Super easy!

More details are here and on the wiki. https://synhak.org/wiki/Membership

I hope this helps, let us know if you have any questions.