Forums were discussed a couple of years ago in the beginning. The opposition to them was that people would have to register in order to use them, and then it's another web app that we have to maintain, apply security patches to, and everyone else would have to remember credentials for. Personally, I don't think the community (members, friends of the space, people interested in us, etc) is large enough to justify running something like vBulletin, SMF or phpBB.

Reddit is kinda already implemented (we have a SYN/HAK subreddit), but I think only a handful of us actually use the site. The subreddit has something like six posts in 8 months.

More mailing lists appeals to me because it makes it possible for people to subscribe to channels of discussion that are relevant to them. For example, if we were to start making mailing lists that are specific to individual projects (for example, the Power Racing Series cars), someone who is uninterested in the project could browse the pipermail archives if they wanted to see what was going on with the project. If they were then interested in the project, they could join the list and become active that way.

Sure, it's nice to have one big massive list that everyone subscribes to, but eventually you start to get the people that are overwhelmed with the amount of email they are receiving.

Chris