On 2/26/2014 9:59 AM, Justin Herman wrote:
> I trust ALL of our members. I trust them so much I sublet space.
>
> A used server would cost us under $500 and could have a lifetime of
> over 2 years! If we upgrade the ISP we also have the option to
> increase bandwidth.
2 servers * $500 / 2 years = $41.67/mo in server payments.  That's just
the cost to OWN the servers.  Let alone the cost of maintaining them
(replacing HDDs, power supplies, etc when they go bad).  Or the cost to
operate them (power, network, cooling).

> I am not suggesting a service will give us ALL of what we use but I
> know that we could get some services pulled off.
>
> Purchasing from a NON-FOSS as a risk I see as minimal. We can still
> use open source technology of other purposes but simply offloading
> some work. In fact I think it could HELP us manage the system as more
> members and non-members could participate, instead of having to learn
> the wiki formatting. It also solves the issue of the wiki attachments.
I have offered this before, and will offer it again.  If you do not know
how to do MediaWiki formatting, request it, and I will host a class.  If
learning MediaWiki formatting is not something you care about, but want
to help document aspects of the space, then make a page with no
formatting, email me the link of the page, and I'll format it for you.
If one of the major concerns is that people can't figure out how to use
the editor, I'll look into deploying Wikipedia's WYSIWIG editor as an
option for those people who are uncomfortable with MediaWIki markup.

For reference, the only active people that have accounts on the wiki
right now are myself, G, Craig, Justin and Phong.  We really only have a
group of 6 or 7 people total that edit the wiki.  I know of a couple
people that edit anonymously for reasons of their choosing.

> There are Co-los in Akron and surrounding areas so drive is minimal at
> best. And they may be willing to host a 501c3 for charity.
Unless you know someone at one of those locations that owes you a
massive favor or have massive blackmail material on them, it's probably
not even worth looking into.  If we purchased two servers for $500 each
like you suggested, then got hosting for an absolutely miraculous
$20/month per server, with all bandwidth, power and cooling upcharges
included, you'd still be at the same price that we're paying for AWS
right now, and we wouldn't be able to guarantee our hardware.

> I am suggesting we maintain spiff but offload other features. If AWS
> is the best place for it then keep it there. But since it is fewer
> services there are less machines that need to run and less cost.
>
> If I am correct you are saying NO other method is possible and I find
> that extremely unlikely, I am suggesting we discuss it in a working
> group and talk about our options. Weigh Pros/Cons. Explore options. I
> feel it is extremely unwise not to evaluate a few options with clear
> minds, before moving forward with a longer subscription.
We're not saying that no other option is possible.  We are saying that
no other option is currently price-competitive.  If you can suggest a
hosting provider that can provide MediaWiki hosting, Mailman hosting,
custom Django-based application uwsgi hosting, a MySQL server,
distributed DNS, an HTTP/HTTPS load-balancer, backup storage, and do so
with the performance and reliability of Amazon Web Services while
handling over 1 million page views per year, all for under $85/mo, I
would be MORE than happy to evaluate it.  Please let me know if you find
this hosting provider.