On Monday, March 03, 2014 13:03:44 Craig Bergdorf wrote:
> TWC is inherently bad in this region.  Although a specific study has not
> yet been done at 48, I'll bet you a panda once the basement is built up a
> bit more and one is run it will fail.  packet loss, inconsistent speeds,
> random outages, the whole deal.  A single (especially docsis) connection to
> the internet can't be trusted for much, twc just lowers the bar for what is
> deemed an "always on conenction".  that being said, I don't think it's a
> huge deal if ftp.synhak.org was down 5% of the time due to twc, or angry
> panda attack.  I do care if the website as a whole is down even 1% of the
> time as it just looks unprofessional.  The hybrid I suggested was just
> offloading all file hosting over a few k or whatever makes sense from a
> billing standpoint to the basement, but keeping all the thinking where it
> can always speak.
>
> There are plenty of other options to host a reliable site for less (i
> resell hosting myself with an SLA, and a synhak sized account would be
> really cheap), but there are also cheaper workbenches to be had over the
> ones that were built, however it's too late to replace them now (and why
> when there far better, and nobody feels bad modifying them)  There has been
> a lot of work put into aws that would require being thrown away if moving
> to a different hosting infrastructure.  I'm sure lots more can be
> offloaded, but I hope everything someone arriving off google would want
> would be available always.
>
> Also, yes torrie, bad time to mention that,  this convo was started at 21
> when people started asking "how hard is it to keep a website up? need help
> or hosting or something?

Remember when we had Phong running on kevlar and we kept tripping the breaker
in the Perkins room and network just wouldn't stay up and meeting minutes and
accounting transparency stopped working for weeks at a time?

Me too. Good times.

I also remember asking those same people if they'd like to help but once I
explained our requirements they tuned out and didn't contribute.